Rising Sun First Baptist Church was founded by The Reverend Emmett C. Burns, Jr., Ph.D., in January 1984. It is located at 2211 St. Lukes Lane-Baltimore, MD 21207. The church’s organizations are numerous and varied. Its ecclesiastical structure consists of the Pastor, as Head, and two governing bodies –the Board of Deacons and the Board of Trustees. The church has a membership roster of approximately 350 members. Reverend Burns is a nationally known gospel minister, well grounded in sound Christian theology, and also a consummate organizer dedicated to providing community service. The Pastor and the Rising Sun First Baptist Church family are always willing to help those in need of spiritual enlightenment and other support.
The purpose of the congregation is to give a tangible manifestation of its faith to the world. We recognize and accept Jesus Christ as the head of the universal church under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. We, the body of the church, therefore, accept the Bible as the inspired Word of God and adhere to its truths as our rule of faith and practice.
As Baptists, we believe in the advancement of the kingdom of Jesus Christ by adhering to the following:
- The supremacy of Christ as Lord and Master;
- The Holy Bible as our rule and guide for our faith and practice;
- Separation of church and state;
- A regenerated church membership;
- The ordinance of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper
- Majority rule, guaranteeing equal rights to all and special
privileges to none;
- The fellowship with other churches;
- Spiritual unity of the believers;
- A program of worldwide mission and evangelism in obedience
to the demands of Jesus; and,
- The Church’s Covenant.
Rising Sun First Baptist Church accepts the scriptures of the Old and the New Testaments as the inspired record of God’s action in human history and as the authoritative basis for its doctrine and practice. The confession of faith adopted by this church is regarded as an expression of the essential doctrines of grace as set forth in the scriptures.